6.06.2011

THINGS AND THINGS AND ETC

GOOD MONDAY, MY FRIENDS!

it's been too long, i think, since there was a decent post up on this blog, and i want to apologize for that. post-BEA was a little crazy, and then book 2 was officially due, and then i think my brain was just tired and a little bit broken. but! i am back! and it is JUNE! and june means all manner of things! seriously.

stay tuned for exciting things to happen in june.

but first!

1. this is WAY overdue, and forgive me for the delay, but the winners of JACOB WONDERBAR AND THE COSMIC SPACE KAPOW are Melody, Heidi, and Ishta Mercurio! congratulations, ladies! if you would please email me your mailing addresses at thmafi at gmail dot com, i will gladly send those wonderful books posthaste.

2. i'm sure you guys have heard all about the Wall Street Journal article about YA, yes? of course you have. and from this article has grown many things, including an entire deciduous forest of feelings and emotions and important reactions. all of it has been said. all has been said well, and from every angle. but all i really want to say is that i'm so proud of the YA community. so wowed and humbled. and i think the most awe-inspiring thing to come of this entire event was the #YAsaves hashtag. i would highly recommend taking a look through these tweets if you haven't already -- they really touched my heart.

3. i have to go in for jury duty this month. *stares at things* *pokes internet* *sighs a little*

4. someone, 2 weeks ago, re: one of my failed blogging attempts on my iPad, said that i'd saved them a lot of money by pointing out that i couldn't, well, blog on my iPad. and i wanted to address this, very quickly, just to say this: the iPad is incredible. i don't regret buying it or using it or traveling with it, ever ever. it is not the replacement for a laptop though, and this is something that i think might confuse people. the iPad is, in my opinion, an insanely tricked out e-reader. and for this it is nothing short of perfect. so if you need a laptop? if you don't own a laptop? an iPad is not a substitute. not even close. but if you need an easy travel companion with access to internet, emails, important applications and thousands of books at your fingertips? it is your best friend. (also i still have no idea if there's a proper way to blog on my iPad. it could be that i'm just doing it wrong.)

5. EMAILS! i have so many of these that i still haven't answered. forgive me. i promise i will be with you shortly. and for all of you who might be book bloggers, etc, and are interested in receiving an ARC of SHATTER ME for review, you can skip straight through me and go directly to my publicist. she has all the information. if you're interested, her name is Allison Verost, and you can find her at Allison.Verost at harpercollins dot com. 

SPEAKING OF WHICH

6. i'm thinking it's time for another SHATTER ME ARC contest. what do you think?

happy hearts, everyone!
i hope you've all been doing well :D



27 comments:

Caitlin R. O'Connell said...

Oh, yes yes please, more contests! :D

I am glad you survived your terribly busy week. And I am excited for Exciting Things in June!

Q said...

Yes, more contests. :)

Melody said...

Aaaah, I won! I seriously cannot wait to read! :) I will send you an email at once. :) And that was quite an interesting article on YA...hmmmm. Must digest before I comment on the matter. :)

Tom M Franklin said...

i suggest you skip the contest, saving yourself all of the time, effort and trouble of putting together the contest and randomly choosing a winner (and thereby crushing the hopes and expectations of countless fans out there) and simply send ME the copy of the ARC you were going to use.

not only will i promise to read and review it, but i'll also give away my copy to someone who will do the same.

what a deal, eh? how can you resist?


-- Tom

Nadinax said...

stay tuned for exciting things to happen in june

*flails arms* You just made me excited for June.

YESYEYESYEYS ARCARCARC!

Nadinax said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Talli Roland said...

Jury duty! Yikes. Er, enjoy...

Melanie said...

totally agree on everything you said regarding the iPad, love mine, can't live w/out it, but it will never replace my first love...my laptop!

sorry things have been so hectic for you, but you sound like things are normaliizing...as much as they can be, anyway ;-)

Katie said...

Pretty pretty please with sugar and whipped cream and chocolate and cherries on top--more contests!! *bats eyelashes*

Kristie Cook said...

How exciting! All of it! Your enthusiasm is awesome. FYI, blogging on the iPad - invest in a bluetooth keyboard, log in via Safari just like you do from your laptop and voila! Blog just like always. If you use Google Reader, you can do it through Safari to read others. No, it still won't replace your laptop, but it is MUCH more than an extra-talented ereader. In fact, I've yet to read a book on mine. Prefer the Kindle for that.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Another contest would be AWESOME!!! :)
I also saw all the #yasaves and thought it was great - what an awesome community. Everyone stood together and it was just awesome to see.

Heather Kelly said...

You can only skip the contest if Tom promises to send the ARC to me when he's finished with it. DO YOU HEAR ME, TOM?!

Michael Offutt said...

I just want to point out that the Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch and is just another pundit for Fox News seeking to establish their right-wing stance as the new "standard" of morality by which everything is judged, including YA. It would get the same treatment as that article if it were to appear on Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity. People really shouldn't be surprised just because it comes from the "Wall Street Journal" which in my opinion lost all integrity when it became part of the Fox News media empire.

Marsha Sigman said...

Congrats to the winners!

As for the YA thing...completely awesome community and we have a right to write the truth as dark as that gets. And it gets pretty damn dark sometimes.

But lets not put a political tag on it. I hate that. When it comes to parenting and censoring what your kids read, it sort of crosses party lines.

Pam Harris said...

Umm...YES! I think it's a PERFECT time for another Shatter Me contest. :)

The Pen and Ink Blog said...

Well said, Michael. Yes! Yes! Another contest, please.
Taherah, here is a link to tips on blogging on they iPad. The post that I am linking you to was written on the iPad. I just got one and I already love it.
Here's another post (not written on the ipad) http://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/buzz-and-me.html

The Pen and Ink Blog said...

Ok Something went wrong: Here is the iPad post link http://www.toprankblog.com/2010/07/blogging-with-an-ipad/

Felicity said...

Oh, yes please. Contests are FUN!

Alex said...

Hey thought I'd let everyone know we at Boxing With Pencils are having a weekly 100 words or less flash fiction contest with a cash prize of 5 dollars.

So come on and check it out all you poor ass writers you know you need the money!

http://boxingwithpencils.com/5-dollah-make-you-holla/

Brooke said...

Glad you posted about the iPad blogging thing. Saved me $500 ;> Though I'd gladly replace my Nook with an iPad!

ooh, contests. I can't wait to read this book :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

I would definitely love another contest. Please.

I just bought an IPad and I LOVE it! It does do a lot, but I agree it doesn't replace a laptop, but it is a WONDERFUl addition to it.

Elizabeth said...

3. I has the wickedest jealous EVER.

5. There's something oddly satisfying about hitting "select all" and then "delete" when the inbox gets too full. I double dog dare you.

6. !!!

Georgia Ho said...

ARC ARC ARC ARC ARCCCCCCC.

April said...

I did want an iPad until I realized it's not really great for writing. I'm saving that kind of Christmas gift for maybe this year - I want a MacBook! A nice, slim, MacBook! Welcome back to blogging!

Dorothy Dreyer said...

Yes, yes, yes, to contests!

(No to jury duty, boooo.)

Tracey Neithercott said...

Um, YES! Any time is a good time for a SHATTER ME ARC contest. :)

Ishta Mercurio said...

I won? I WON! Thank you! I will email yo umy address shortly!

And I apologize for not responding sooner. My computer died Monday, and we've ben trying to fix it ourselves/get it fixed/figure out what to replace it with all week. I'm sure you know how much that sucks. I'm at the library now, which does not suck, but only because I'm surrounded by books. Got any computer recommendations?

Also: Jury duty? Hey, it could be good. Probably not, but you never know. Either way, it's book fodder. Are you allowed to bring your notebook to jot down stuff? You know, random stuff like "eyes the color of muddy water" or something. I wonder if they'd consider that kind of thing a breach of confientiality.

Also: A SHATTER ME ARC contest? Yes, please. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails