5.26.2011

BEA! NYC! THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS.

OMG I'M FINALLY BACK HOME! with an actual computer!

as demonstrated in my two previous posts, i was having a difficult time using my iPad to post on blogger, and, as a result, all of my posts were weird and devoid of formatting and little more than really pathetically hideous blocks of text. BUT NOW I'M BACK! and all is well again in the world of aesthetically-pleasing posts.

BEA! updates!

BEA was insane. i mean. huge. and noisy. and there were SO MANY BOOKS IT WAS INCREDIBLE. also there were people lugging suitcases around for all their ARCs and swag and i was... astounded (she said, not unkindly). more than anything else, it was truly awe-inspiring to see so many people come together to share a love of all things literature.

here are some things that happened:

  1. harper set up this photo shoot for my face. also the rest of my body had to be there, too, so. anyway, bright and early monday morning, me, tara (my editor), jodi (my agent), and alison (art director) headed over to central park, where we met matt furman (photographer) and scott (his assistant). matt then proceeded to spend the next 2(ish) hours taking no fewer than eleventy-billion pictures of me trying to smile into the camera. it was probably the most fun i never expected to have at a photo shoot. the tourists kept taking pictures of matt taking pictures of me like i was some kind of exhibition on their tour of the park, and we ended the whole thing on a carousel ride, where i attempted to look awesome on the back of a plastic horse. i am just saying, it was nothing short of epic. hopefully i will be able to share these pictures with you soon.
  2. i got to meet everyone at harper. and all i'm going to say about this is that every time i think about this particular event i get a little weepy. calling them wonderful would be the understatement of the internet. amazing, amazing, amazing. amazing.
  3. i went speed-dating! well, no i was not actually speed-dating. that is to say, i was not looking for love and long walks at the beach at BEA. i actually got to do this awesome thing where, for 3 minutes at a time, i sat with 19 tables (8-10 people per table), and pitched my book. it was spectacular. i love librarians and booksellers almost as much as i love butter pecan ice cream. and let's be honest, that's a hell of a lot of love.
  4. I SIGNED BOOKS. you guys, i realized -- albeit, a little belatedly -- that i needed an author signature just about 2 minutes before my signing. not a good time for realizations, i have to say. but let's tell a story about my signing, shall we? YES I THINK WE SHOULD. here i was, sitting in the green room with tara, feeling relatively calm about the entire thing, hoping that maybe a couple of people would show. no pressure, i said to myself! it's the first time you've ever done a signing, tahereh! no need to be disappointed if no one shows up! ohhhhh so i sat there, patting my self-esteem on the back, feeding my brain mental cookies and making myself promises i didn't intend to keep when jodi walks into the green room -- without even saying hello, i might add -- drops her bag on the floor and says HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR LINE? and. well. yes. this is where i promptly started having a heart attack. i don't even really remember much of what happened after that. all i know is that my hands started shaking so hard i couldn't even hold a pen straight and i had to keep apologizing for my handwriting (which, i SWEAR, does not normally resemble that of a 5-year-old's).
  5. WE RAN OUT OF BOOKS. it was unbelievable. someone just told me today that the line was so long they had to cut it off 7 minutes after i started signing. they'd allocated only a specific number of books for the signing, and the rest were set up at the harper booth for a giveaway a bit later in the day, and, unfortunately, we had to turn people away. i also heard there were a lot of people cutting in line (FOR SHAME!). but this is a strange place for me to be on the feelings train. i want to apologize to all of you who weren't able to get a book (and who were cut off either by my publicist or a line-jumper), but i am also so unbelievably FLOORED that you came out at all that i am just beyond words deliriously happy. i don't even know how to tell you how much it means to me that you took the time out to stop by, to say hello, to tell me you read my blog, to take a picture of my shoes and tell me you follow me on twitter. but thank you. a million times, thank you.
there were so many other things i could tell you stories about, but i do not wish to stuff you with so many words that it spoils your appetite. i will only leave you with this, in case you never get to see it:

a picture taken from the acknowledgements section of my ARC
p.s. so many people got to see me at BEA, and so many of you have asked me to share a picture of myself that i feel it's only fair for me to indulge this now. but i'm going to tell you a very big secret, my friends: my picture has been all over the internet for like, 3 months now. all you had to do was google my name. but i never said anything because i really don't like pictures. and pictures, truly, truly hate me. though i suppose now i need to get over it. i don't know. in any case! here is a tahereh-sanctioned photo. and as soon as i get pictures from my harper shoot i will share them with you!

SO MANY HEARTS


39 comments:

Dorothy Dreyer said...

Sounds like you had an amazing time. OMG you ran out of books? That is like a crazy insane dream come true (I mean, not to run out of books, because we never want to run out of books, right? But to have THAT many people want your book you would run out. AWESOME!)

And by the way, you're beautiful!

justshireen said...

That sounds amazing! I'm sad I couldn't make it to BEA, but so glad you got the support you deserve! <3

Caitlin R. O'Connell said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! And of course you ran out of books, you are awesome!

Also, that is a lovely lovely picture of you! :)

Lee723 said...

I'm SO happy for you! And you shouldn't have been amazed at the amount of people that stood in line to see you. I mean, you are SO MUCH AWESOMESAUCE.

And because of that post... I will share my... cake... with you. I know I said on twitter that i wouldn't share with you or my own mother but, alas, you deserve it. ::HANDS OVER CAKE::
Lisa
xo
xLeeDx :') <3

Rebecca Kiel said...

Running out of books is my favorite part! Great work!!

Lisa Gail Green said...

I'm glad it was fabulous!!! I still can't wait to read your book. I know it will be incredible. And btw, you are BEAUTIFUL.

Marsha Sigman said...

If I had those eyes my pics would be all over my blog. And you're hair is so awesome, all multicolored...

Congrats to you again!

Ezmirelda said...

I wish I could've been there so badly. And really, suitcases? Wow.

Also, just thought I'd mention that picture of you is beautiful!:)

Misha said...

I'm so glad that your signing went well. :-) Heading over to check out the pic now.

BP said...

ZAHH!! YOU ARE GORGEOUS! (duh) And I want to see those epic awesome plastic horse photos HESTO PRESTO, k? :D HESTO PRESTO

Bryan Russell (Ink) said...

Whew. Had some Headless Horseman fears. You know, flaming pumpkins, etc. The usual.

Steph said...

I like your face! :) Congrats on a successful and fun BEA! :)

Aaronni said...

How awesome! I can't even IMAGINE how amazing overwhelming that must have been! And you ran out of books? Umm, I hear a best seller coming on! I wish you only the best of things and I pray (silently) that some of your goodluck rubs off on me (querying is so scary!)

Hearts.

Aaronni

Becca C. said...

Oh my goshes, sounds like you had an amazing time. Sooooo happy for you! And I can't freaking wait to read your book.

Btw, hey, Gorgeous :)

Anna said...

AHH! You are funny AND gorgeous? I think I died a little. Congrats about your awesome experience. I can't wait to read your book when it comes out!!!!

Pam Harris said...

Sounds like you had a great time...and such a lovely photo. :)

Y G Mason said...

THAT is a picture that hates you?! You should see what my camera does to me... Your modesty is also evident by the fact that you didn't have an author signature until you were at the signing. Some people *ahem* have them already.

Julie Musil said...

How exciting! And I have to say, you're as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside. Sounds cliche, but it's true.

Krispy said...

Sounds like BEA was freaking AMAZING!!! That's so cool, and you are lovely (I can't believe you kept that from us) and your acknowledgments are so sweet! Can't wait to see your photoshoot pics!

Congrats on the awesome turnout! Wish I could've been in that monstrous line. ;)

Becky Taylor said...

It sounds wonderful! So glad to hear you had a great time.

Becky Taylor said...

Also--your picture is beautiful. I can't wait to see the ones from the professional shoot. How fun.

Leslie Rose said...

What an amazing ride, and not just on the carousel. Your picture is stunning! Congrats on a successful BEA.

Ishta Mercurio said...

You had so many people show up that you ran out of books! HOORAY for tons and tons of people!

Congratulations, Tahereh!

Also: pictures do NOT hate you. And even if they did, it would not matter. Because you are beautiful in your soul.

Angela Ackerman said...

Oh I am so happy for you, Tahereh! Congrats on being such a smashing hit, but really I don't think anyone is surprised. Enjoy your success!

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Jemma Davidson said...

Great post. So happy for you. Congratulations :)

If I wasn't pre-occupied with learning how to drive in the Tucson heat with my fingertips I would have been in line at BEA!

Lovely photo too :)

Jessica Love said...

It sounds like BEA was awesome. So is this author thing actually getting real now?

Girl, you are gorgeous!

Myrthe said...

That must have been amazing! Sounds like you had so much fun already... be prepared for what is gonna happen when you're book will be out and about! ;)

Actually, what about an international book tour when your book will be published in Dutch? We would LOVE it to see you here ;)

I wish you all the best for the coming period!

Bye,

Myrthe
Blossom Books

Lindsay said...

Yay! It sounds like you had an amazing time. I wish I could have been there. Now I start a campaign for you to tour the UK :)

Bee said...

OHMYGOSH Tahereh! You are a real author and all that jazz <3333!

And girl, you ARE gorgeous.

sally apokedak said...

Yikes! Young, smart, educated, thin, talented, AND pretty. If I didn't like you so much, I'd have to hate you.

Elana Johnson said...

Glad you had a fun time at BEA! Sounds amazing. One day, I will go. Oh yes. I will.

JD said...

Yay! So happy for you. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us. Also, yeah, you're fracking gorgeous! Can't wait to read your book!

Yahong said...

Did you know you're pretty?

The Pen and Ink Blog said...

Whenever I see a dream come true, it delights me beyond words. I am so happy for you and I look forward to reading your book. You have my dream agent. I aspire to Jodi. I plan to query her next week.
Did you put Pages on you iPad? I was hoping that would help with blogging, etc.

Laura said...

Tahereh, your line was nuts, but I got in line an HOUR before just to make sure I got to see you and get your book!

You are lovely and I cannot wait to read your book!

Ariana said...

That sounds like such an amazing experience. I totally wish I could have been there! I have a feeling this is only the very beginning of your wild success.

Also, girl, yo lashes are luscious.

Jan Markley said...

That's a beautiful picture and it sounds like it was an amazing experience!

Jenn Kelly said...

look at you! your beautiful fun heart matches your beautiful fun eyes!

Regina said...

It sounds like you had a really phenomenal time there. I had planned to go but it didn't work into my schedule. Hope to be there someday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails