2.10.2011

GUEST POST: Spelling And Grammer Matter’s

By: Tracey Neithercott

Maybe because I’m a former copyeditor. But I’m incredibly Passionate about proper grammer and spelling because if you don’t have those things it can be very hard to understand sentences, your reader’s won’t want to waste they’re Time on you’re Book or you even if you think its good.

Editors and Agents too. They don’t like to read submissions from writer whom use inproper grammer or spelling even if you execute the story part good. Plenty of people say that its the storytelling that matters really but its not its a mix of Storytelling and Knowing how to write, that includes grammer and spelling and all that. Writers that submit they’re novels which are chalk full of mistakes frequently are rejected!

See Agent’s and editors’ don’t have a lot of time to waste deciphering bad-written novels; even if they may think the story is better than Harry Potter and Hunger Games and Twilight combined into one sparkling magical war book and even if they like you’re other ideas.

They just don’t want to waste there time making you’re Book understandable to readers. Those are you’re job.

Give yourself with a grammer book some help! Fine a astonishingly good text that can teach you the basic Principle’s of the English language and that you read on you’re own Time so that you can get better at the writing part. Also for spelling. It for some people is worser.

When it’s spelled good and has all the grammer right, you can submit a book that is your best work.

Just between you and I, learning the rules to the grammer isn’t the easiest thing but the good news is that its possible. Don’t loose hope!

Tracey Neithercott is a health journalist and former copy editor who writes YA fiction when she should be sleeping. She attempts to use proper grammar on her blog, Words on Paper.


24 comments:

Trisha said...

This entry makes me cry and twitch, but I get the point for sure. LOL

maine character said...

But my story part good!! Argh?

Ive loosed all hope is worser.

Vicki said...

I chuckled at the title, but little did I know I was in for a world of pain. I'm with Trisha, I know it was to make a point, but this was just torture!

Jen said...

And now my brain hurts. Point taken, though! Excellent post.

Aleeza said...

just goes to prove: GRAMMAR FTW!

Mrs. DeRaps said...

Funny. Got it.

Jen Daiker said...

Well at least I know my brain works before 7am. I also now realize how irritating this can be. Though I knew before I had never actual read one with so many errors.

Lesson learned.

PS That had to have taken some time.

Mary Campbell said...

funny - the problem with this post though is that the people who really need it, won't even notice there was anything wrong with it.

Josin L. McQuein said...

You realize that there are people who will read this, see the same structure in their own writing, and take it as proof that they're right... right?

I think "But, it's the story that matters!!!" has to be one of the most often repeated bits of bad advice circulated among new writers. Usually, this is accompanied by sharing all of their proof in the form of "typos" from "Published Novel XXX by Mega Author".

(I mean, OMG, if XXX can misplace an apostrophe once in 462 pages, then misusing 67 in 250 pages is, like, NOTHING! It's the story that matters!)

Sarah said...

I love this so much! I've heard a few writers say they don't worry about the grammar and punctuation that much because an editor will take care of it. My blood pressure always rises a bit upon hearing those sentiments. It smacks of disrespect for the language, even though words are a writer's stock and trade! Great, great post.

Matthew Rush said...

I'm surprised how difficult that was to read. Excellent post. It really drove it's point home. It's crazy that, even being no grammarian, I can't stand to read this kind of writing. I have no problem reading those examples of writing where all the words are spelled wrong except for the first and last letters.

Very interesting.

Stoich91 said...

"Give yourself with a grammar book some help!" has got to be one of the best lines yet!

I know what the writers are thinking: But isn't that THE COPYEDITOR'S JOB? However, I'm pretty sure it was our 2nd grade teacher's job, and anyhow, I'm not sure how much we were listening then, either. :D Ha!

Great post! My eyes are STILL TWITCHING...

RobynBradley said...

Loved this. Like some of the others, I'm twitching as well. I can only imagine how hard this must have been to write and send out! Thanks for sharing. :)

gideon 86 said...

MY brain hurts.... WHY?

Please don't ever do that to us again.... Even my fingernails hurt.


As Mary had pointed out, the people who need it will not notice the difference.

Michael

Julia G. Darelle said...

Ouch. That was painful.
Great post!

D. U. Okonkwo said...

Great post - and good to remember that we shouldn't rely on spell check with our computers.; it never catches them all.

Claudie A. said...

I had to stare away from the screen for a moment and quell the nausea. No, really. :P

Hilarious post. I love it!

Jennifer Jackson said...

I went through and mentally corrected everything as I read. I wish I could do that more efficiently in my own writing.

It was a nice, cringe-inducing post!

thatcovergirl said...

I wanted to hug this post. I think I will, after I wipe up all the blood from where my eyes bled all over the floor.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Good gravy, woman. Did that hurt your eyes as much to write as it hurt my soul to read? Yaaaaaaa!!!

I suppose there are reasons why I chose not to go down the editing path. It's painful. Oh gawwwwd, it hurts.

But, Lordy that was brilliant.

maine character said...

Another reason to avoid bad grammar is someone might take your atrocities and turn it into a hilarious video, as I just found at Joann Swanson’s.

Leslie Rose said...

I swear I finally understood grammar when I took a second language. The glue on my mental post-its didn't start sticking to my brain until then.

Yahong Chi said...

OUCH, Tracey. Good one. :)

Jonathon Arntson said...

At least Tracey used whom instead of that. She already has a better hold on the English language than almost all of America.

Related Posts with Thumbnails