4.26.2010

IT'S A BOY!


How to Tell Your Parents You're Pregnant a Writer
By Tashianna Munford, 17, Staff Writer*
Originally Published: Jul 17, 2008
Revised: Jul 17, 2008

When I was about 10 years old, my 15-year-old sister found out she was pregnant a writer. It was difficult for me to understand what was going on, but I did. Of course, it was even more difficult for my sister to tell my mom. My mom wanted my sister to finish high school, establish a career and get her life on the right track before thinking about having kids dreams. My mom was upset for a while, but in the long run she was there to help my sister get through this.

My sister chose to
have her baby write a novel. Seeing her raise a child write a book on her own, I understand how difficult it is. No matter what age you are or how grown up you may think you are, you still need a strong support system to raise a child be a writer.
It is hard to tell your parents or guardians that you’re pregnant you’re writing or that your girlfriend writing-partner is pregnant writing, but telling them too late means you or your girlfriend writing-partner won’t get much needed care—whether you or she chooses to continue the pregnancy finish the book or not. So, I decided to pull together some tips for helping you through this difficult conversation.
1.     Seek outside help from a counselor or other trusted adult. Telling her or him will be good practice for telling your parents. Planned Parenthood The AbsoluteWrite forums provide counseling and can answer your questions about adoption SNIs, abortion trunked novels and teen parenting WIPs. Find a low-cost, confidential clinic near you or call 1-800-230-PLAN (7526) to find a Planned Parenthood near you. Find the forums online at http://www.absolutewrite.com
2.     Include the guy writing-partner who’s responsible for the pregnancy inspiring you, too—whether he’s your boyfriend fictional or not. You didn’t get pregnant these ideas by yourself. And if you’re the guy writer, support your partner. Being there when you talk to both of your parents and going with her together to see the doctor therapist are just two ways that you can help.
3.     Get your partner and both of your parents or guardians together for a meeting. Tell them face-to-face as soon as you find out. Listen to what they have to say and use the information to figure out what your next step will be.
4.     Have a backup plan, especially if you don’t know how your parents or guardians will react. Before you break the news to your parents or guardians, tell another trusted adult that you are worried about what will happen and ask this person to check on you after you to talk to your parents or guardians. Ask a close family member or other trusted adult to take you in if you get kicked out. You can also contact your local youth shelter or the National Runaway Switchboard at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). While very few parents or guardians would put their child out on the street, it’s best to be prepared if you believe it may happen to you.
  1.   Your parents will probably be disappointed, but they hopefully will be right by your side. If you want their support, you’ve got to take the first step and tell them that you’re pregnant a writer or your girlfriend is pregnant that you have a writing-partner.
Good luck & and Godspeed.

-------

*i did not alter any of the original text, even though my editing fingers really, desperately wanted to. original article can be found here. hehe

37 comments:

Tana said...

Brilliant. =D

Clara said...

Brilliant! However, I feel violated somehow lol but yes, in the end, our books really do feel like babies =)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Have I mentioned I love you? And have I also mentioned that reading this after waking up less then twenty minutes before resulted many laughs and tummyaches?
Seriously. You're brilliant, and unbelievably awesomes!

Ann Marie Wraight said...

NICE ONE - AGAIN!!!

I always deal with the day with a smile once I've read your post
BESTIE-KINS!

Theresa Milstein said...

I never saw the comparison before! My family didn't have to endure this kind of agony because I waited to have my children and be a writer until much later.

One of my blogger friends is teaching at a school with several either pregnant or new moms. She loves writing too, so I'm passing this link onto her.

MissV said...

Hysterical!

(applauds)

Thank you for the giggles this morning!

Piedmont Writer said...

Are you sure you're not a comedienne in another life?

Christina Lee said...

GIRL, you are SOOOOOOO dang funny! love it!

Lola Sharp said...

Funny stuff!

Matthew Rush said...

Hilarious.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Oh you're too funny! This reminds me of the scene in City of Ashes (or was it City or Glass) where Clary helps Simon practice the best way to tell his parents he's now a vampire. She used the coming out of the closet speech. I loved that scene. I couldn't stop laughing. My mother in law thought I was losing it. :D

Mia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheri Larsenッ said...

You almost had me T. Lucky I've already had two cups of java!!

Mia said...

Hahaha *wipes tears from eyes* ROFL but so true. I am now going to comment accordingly just for you (although I have not a clue how to do stikethrough in html so I'll have to improvise) o_0


So, I recently found out that I am (pregnant) a writer and I have to tell my parents but I have already been (pregnant once before) writing for some time. This list about (pregnancy) writing will help me a lot. I know they are going to be devastated since they were upset when my (sister was pregnant) brother left Uni. Thanks from Anon. (girl) Writer. x


P.S. Not really about the mad and devestated thing, my folks are pretty cool. Although the other bit is true... I may or may not have forgotten to tell them and I really should *whistles*

P.P.S. I do apologise. I had an arguement with blogger and had to delete my last comment since it made no sense. Don't worry, it wasn't offensive or anything, just full of #MiaFail :P

Oh, and have a brilliant Tuesday! Mia awaaay :~) *dances into the sunset*

Candyland said...

Hahaha... Too funny! Oh, how scary it is to tell everyone you're...a writer.

Lisa and Laura said...

Love this! Thanks for the laugh!

Jaydee Morgan said...

Loved it! Have an awesome day :)

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

lol. Very funny. Lucky for me, I tell my mom everything and she's very supportive. ;)

Dawn said...

Love this! Your post takes me back to my teenage years when I came out of the writing closet. My parents' response was: Well, uh, I guess that's ok. But do you have a back-up plan?

Marsha Sigman said...

I'm pretty sure my mother would prefer a pregnancy.

Claire Dawn said...

Wuv you times infinity!

V.M.Pettingill said...

sooo true!

Laura Marcella said...

Excellent! I'm lucky my parents were supportive of my (pregnancy) writing from the beginning. I think they'd be very disappointed in me if I gave up my (babies) writing projects!

Caledonia Lass said...

This. This is clever. You smart cookie, you! But yes, I have a good support group. The best support group I have never met in real life. All my online blogger buddies!

Iman said...

just like Marsha, i'm almost 100% certain my mother would prefer are pregnancy.

Jen said...

Oh my gosh I laughed hysterically after reading this! You crack me up!! How creative!

I'm glad that my parents don't own me and can't tell me what to do! I have a husband of my own and when I tell him I'm a writer he supports me fully, and he's the only one who doesn't think I'm crazy!

Kaitlin Ward said...

LOL too awesome.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

OMG! You should be a stand-up comedian. You would be rich beyond the dreams of avarice! :-)

Bish Denham said...

ROFL! Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Jeff Sampson said...

This was just too funny. I just stumbled on your blog and I LOVE IT!

Lani Woodland said...

That was fabulous!

La-La-La-Laurie said...

amazing

Shelley Sly said...

LOVE THIS!! You always crack me up. Thanks, hun. :D

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome!! I need to take some advice - my mom still doesn't know :)

Sage said...

You're so funny.

Just a note, it's hard to find AW just using absolutewrite.com. Try: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums

Bee said...

Oh christ, this is HILARIOUS.

My parents still don't believe I'm really raising a child, but I hope they come around to the idea :P

Jessica said...

I went from graduating with a degree in early modern European history to something much more concrete, ie. writing. My parents may actually have chosen Option C...pregnancy :p

How much do I love this post? Seriously. C'mon. Pretty much..TheBest.

Jess

Related Posts with Thumbnails